In the Forest
Some people say Costa rica is just not exotic enough. After all, it’s been on the tourist scene for awhile now and with its all inclusive beach resorts on the north Pacific coast it became accessible to lots of people at a reasonable price. Problem is, those resorts are self contained beach vacations and could be anywhere. We promise, those people who think it is ordinary are wrong – Costa Rica is so much more than that.
1) Luscious Forest. Have you discovered the wonders of a walk through rain or cloud forest, maybe even in a warm rain? Troops of Leaf Cutter Ants marching along the forest floor. Sloths hidden in the trees (but your guide will spot them!). Birds, often brightly colored or full of song. Vines and trees and plants and bugs, all living symbiotically. Epiphytes! Orchids and butterflies the size of your first. Worlds you may never have known existed.
2) Action: Zip lines, rafting and kayaking. Canyoning and tubing. Stand up paddle boarding and surfing. Some of the world’s best activities, all rolled into one destination. With forest, coastline, and mountains so many options are available to you.
3) Monkeys: Capuchin. Howler. Spider. Squirrel. SO MANY monkeys! All out in their natural habitat, and sometimes trying to snatch your lunch, or hurling nuts onto the roof of your jungle cabin to wake you in the morning…
4) The people. So warm, so welcoming, so generous. From our local guides to drivers, the innkeepers to the surfing instructors, to the children and teachers on the schools. I’m pretty sure you’ve never met nicer people.
5) Nonstop Flights from New York, Atlanta, Houston, Miami … so easy to get there
6) Pico de Gallo. Now, Costa Rica is not known for its gastronomy, but please give yourself the opportunity to discover the delicious joy of pico de gallo! Like Costa Rica – fresh, simple, but complex in its flavors, it might just become a regular at your table at home.
7) Pura Vida! Believe me, you want this phrase in your life. An expression of the entire culture of Costa Rica, it means literally ‘pure life‘. Once you experience its context in the country that lives it, you will find an infinite number of ways to use it. As a greeting, an exclamation, a state of mind. Pura Vida!
8) Coffee. Did you know the fresh beans, seeds really, are red? Even if you don’t drink it, you know how big this crop is in the world. Seeing how it is grown and harvested – fascinating.
9) Everything you always wanted to know about volcanoes. Costa Rica is part of the Pacific Ring Fire Circle and has a ton of volcanoes, about 100 or so, with 5 currently active. Come peer into the caldera of a dormant volcano or listen to the not so distant rumble of an active volcano. Learn about how volcanoes form the landscape of Costa Rica. Pretty, pretty amazing.
10) A lovely climate all year long. Warm in December and February when the Northeast is frigid. Warm in March and April when we’re not quite thawed out. Is it hotter and wetter in the summer? Sure, but who doesn’t like a warm rain in the rain forest? Or green sea turtles nesting on the beach? Winter is great to escape the cold, and summer is great to escape the crowds.
11) OK one more – all the things I didn’t get to mention. Hanging Bridges. Kayaking through canals. Surfing lessons at the beach. White water rafting. Canyoning. Hiking. Swimming. Snorkeling. Pen pals. And even more….