land crab in Panama
Want something comfortable but different? Avoid the tourists – even if you are one – and come to Panama. Why? Because:
1) Panama is still unspoiled and undiscovered. Fancy hotels? Nope, but what a delight to explore a land not many know.
2) Climate: perfect all year round. A warm getaway in chilly December or frigid February. An exotic escape in the summer, when you can see the humpback whales migrating through. There’s a good reason to go in any month.
3) Our guides? Priceless. Make the most of your time; discover secrets and learn more fascinating things than you ever would on your own.
4) Wildlife – not just hundreds of species of mammal, reptile and amphibians and almost 1000 species of bird, but 125 animal species found nowhere else in the world.
5) The Panama Canal! Such amazing history and engineering brilliance. You don’t have to be a mathematician or scientist to appreciate this marvel. Come watch the ships glide through the locks.
6) Comfortable transportation: The roads are sophisticated like the canal, thanks to the construction years. Well paved, making for a smooth ride.
7) Casco Antiguo (AKA Casco Viejo) and the streets of historic Panama. Built as a walled city to protect the early settlers from marauding pirates (yes, pirates!!), today it is a World Heritage site representing the diverse cultures and architecture of Panama City.
8) Beaches, and with great snorkeling too. On pristine Isla Iguana you’ll find sugar white sand, dry tropical forest, and coral reef; red throated frigate birds and five kinds of turtle, brilliant colored crabs, lizards and – of course – iguanas too.
9) Wowie Zipline: Here someone else controls the speed so you can actually enjoy the moment. Pause mid-zip in front of a waterfall for a good look – and a great photo opportunity.
10) The Embera Tribe. Still living a traditional life, just up river from the modern canal, you can visit this indigenous tribe and learn about how they live off the land. Your kids can write ahead to pen pals who live here too. Want to get a tribal tattoo, albeit a temporary one? You can do so here.
11) One more! Fresh and delicious Food: Though Panama is not known for its gastronomy, it does offer excellent fresh fish and fruits. Enjoy ceviche, empanadas, tamales, fried yuca and plantains. Plenty of hot sauce available too!
Beach and Water